HTML List Abuse (was: "please ignore: this is only a test")

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 03:37:05 PDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 11:10 PM, brian carroll
<electromagnetize at gmail.com> wrote:
>  from one platform into Gmail, where formatting errors and
>  line wrap issues exist, thus unreliable rendering of emails.

Gmail's support for those things is poor at best.

>  since the list does not send me a copy of my own posts,

Gmail may be doing some deduplication here. On some
lists, if I immediately delete a sent test post, I'll then
notice the list copy come in later.

>  not realizing it may be rendered as HTML email elsewhere,
>  because data only appears in plain text anywhere i see it

Depending on configuration, gmail web sends just:

mailinator and spamavert probably still have decent raw
view[er]s to test with.

>  these tools suck for communicating and sharing ideas.
>  it is self-punishing even to try to share ideas online.
>  everything goes against viewpoints that are not already
>  agreed upon as part of the existing perspective. it takes

The hidden services of Tor, I2P, Freenet and so on exist in
part to give people the freedom to publish whatever they
want from their own machines in their own creative ways.