[liberationtech] RiseUp

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Oct 19 02:23:26 PDT 2013

----- Forwarded message from "Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)" <lists at infosecurity.ch> -----

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 20:20:07 +0200
From: "Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)" <lists at infosecurity.ch>
To: liberationtech <liberationtech at lists.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: [liberationtech] RiseUp

Il 10/16/13 12:07 AM, Yosem Companys ha scritto:
> If you have any thoughts about Riseup, whether
> security/privacy-related or otherwise, I'd love to hear them.

While i appreciate Riseup project goals and approach, i would not
personally keep my usual email flow (inbound/outbound) going trough a
communication line that's used by many other "sensible users", because
it's more likely to be massively monitored.

Generally is not valuable to use only 1 email provider, because email is
made up of many pieces:
- Inbound flow
- Outbound flow
- Data storage

That require a user to have at least 3 different providers by:
- Splitting your communication flow
- Stay on countries with (strong economy & strong privacy law)

I wrote about this concept/setup there
https://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/liberationtech/2012-February/003144.html

Anyone can implement their own mix of providers/countries/flows by using
easy web-interfaces of hosting providers without having to deal with
server's setup.

--
Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)
HERMES - Center for Transparency and Digital Human Rights

--
Liberationtech is public & archives are searchable on Google. Violations of list guidelines will get you moderated: https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech. Unsubscribe, change to digest, or change password by emailing moderator at companys at stanford.edu.

----- End forwarded message -----