Assassination Politics on Ycombinator

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Mon Oct 14 14:16:41 PDT 2013

> Reposted Jim's original at
> http://cpunks.wordpress.com/2013/10/14/assassination-politics-199596/
> b/c too many young people didn't read it. --Michael

Funny, I was just reading about restitutionary justice this morning.
Reminded me of a longstanding thought process indicting "retributionary
justice" for many of the failing in our societal system. That is, we
punish people for things, expecting that the threat of punishment, or
the experience of punishment, will prevent crime. But, it doesn't, at
all.

Assassination politics is just extreme retributionary justice. It's a
lipstick-on-a-pig rebranding that's easy to sell to crypto-enthusiasts;
"Look, we can use crypto to solve all societal problems, including
keeping politicians honest!". To some extent it might, but it certainly
wouldn't solve the problem as well as, er, most viable alternatives.
It'll just breed a generation of smarter crooked politicians.