who are the service operators here?

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Fri Oct 11 09:35:42 PDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 01:42:13PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> I think we need more hidden services to make the darknet more attractive,
> less exits. The open Internet has been dead for a while, time to accept it.
>
> Running a non-exit relay from home is still worthwhile, since it raises the
> bar for physical access, and also increases the traffic background.
>
> Decentral search is pretty important, we could really use lots of
> YaCy nodes as hidden services -- indexing not just the hidden web, of
> course.

Hmmm, I hadn't heard of YaCy before, thanks for the mention!

> I wish there was a library of different privacy-based appliances in
> virtual formats (.ovf) which are kept up to date for easy deployment
> (even though running it on bare iron would be preferable). That would
> seem to be a lot of work, though, and run into trust issues.

OVF is a dead end AFAICS.

It's not perfect, but the combination of Chef/Puppet (to specify +
install + configure the software stack) plus Vagrant (to specify +
install + configure the base VM) seems like a more fruitful path
forward.  There are some missing pieces; for example, it's regrettably
common in current Cookbooks and Vagrantfiles to download
unsigned-and-unhashed code from the network and trust it.  But that's
fixable with more hashing and content addressed storage.

-andy