HTML'ed mail

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 17:39:14 PDT 2013

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Travis Biehn <tbiehn at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I find the constant appearance of HTML e-mail here to
>>> be surprising. ...

> This isn't the mailing lists job; it is your clients job.
> If you don't want to see HTML email then use a client that can't / won't
> interpret it.

It is the sender's job. No-one should be sending such stuff
to a public list since it serves no useful purpose. If your
client won't send clean ASCII-only email, then switch to
a client that will.

If senders do not do that, there are four options: flame
them to a crisp (off-list, please!), let every reader handle
it, remove the HTML at the server, or set the server to
drop such messages entirely. I'd prefer the last, with
an appropriate bounce message,