<nettime> A CEO who resisted NSA spying is out of prison.

Jim Bell jamesdbell8 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 4 11:59:38 PDT 2013

From: James A. Donald <jamesd at echeque.com>

To: cypherpunks at cpunks.org
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2013 4:25 AM
Subject: Re: <nettime> A CEO who resisted NSA spying is out of prison.

On 2013-10-04 20:02, Adam Back wrote:
>>> A CEO who resisted NSA spying is out of prison. And he feels
>>> ‘vindicated’
>>> by Snowden leaks.
>>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/09/30/a-ceo-who-resisted-nsa-spying-is-out-of-prison-and-he-feels-vindicated-by-snowden-leaks/
>>> By Andrea Peterson, Published: September 30 at 12:07 pmE-mail the writer
>>> Both Edward Snowden and Joseph Nacchio revealed details about some of
>>> the
>>> things that go on at NSA headquarters in Fort Meade.
>>> (REUTERS/NSA/Handout)
>>>
>>> Both Edward Snowden and Joseph Nacchio revealed details about some of
>>> the
>>> things that go on at NSA headquarters in Fort Meade. (NSA/Reuters)
>>>
>>> Just one major telecommunications company refused to participate in a
>>> legally dubious NSA surveillance program in 2001. A few years later, its
>>> CEO was indicted by federal prosecutors. He was convicted, served
>>> four and
>>> a half years of his sentence and was released this month.

>Insider trading laws are so vague and all encompassing that it is
>entirely impossible to be innocent of insider trading, unless you pick
>your stocks by throwing darts
>Almost every investor is guilty of insider trading.  Prosecutions are
>selective and arbitrary.

This is why that a system such as my "Denial of Disservice Attack" idea could be so attractive to corporate America and its high-level (and not so high level) employees.    If it were explained to them that it is in their interest to lower the Federal prison population from 220,000 to 15,000, and that it could be done for perhaps only $20 million per year,  they should flock to contribute.  It could be arranged as a charitable contribution ('to encourage employment of the jury system',) and thus be tax-deductible.
        Jim Bell