Silk Road founder arrested ...

Ted Smith tedks at riseup.net
Thu Oct 3 18:53:48 PDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-10-02 at 17:38 -0700, Bill Stewart wrote:
> It's described in a fair bit of detail (including the Somewhere, BC
> police
> saying that there weren't actually any dead bodies lying around),
> in ways that sound almost like the extortionist and hit men were
> really cops;

The hitmen were the extortionists. This is roughly how the exchange went
according to the FBI complaint out of NY:

      * extortionist: Give me 500k.
      * DPR: Why?
      * E: I owe people money.
      * DPR: Put them on the line.
      * People to whom the extortionist owes money (TOTALLY NOT THE
        EXTORTIONIST'S OTHER EMAIL ADDRESS NO WAY THATS CRAZY TALK):
        Hello.
      * DPR: Kill the extortionist.
      * D: That'll be 150k.
      * DPR: I've had people killed for 80k. But sure.
      * D: Okay, transfer bitcoins to this address.
      * DPR: Here you are.
      * D: Have a nice day!

The point of the "murder solicitation" is for DPR to indicate that he's
willing and able to have people whacked if they piss him off too much.
Then the extortionist and DPR both get to solve their mutual problems
without losing face.

--
Sent from Ubuntu