Silk Road founder arrested ...

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 06:10:47 PDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 5:59 AM, Lodewijk andré de la porte <l at odewijk.nl> wrote:
>  Of course it's not "extra-judicial" either.

we can debate the ethics of remote drone kills separately, though
clearly i'm not an unbiased party.

however, this program fits the definition of "extrajudicial killing"
perfectly. having a secret judge issue a secret ruling that "you can
kill in secret without a trial, without due process, as long as
criteria X is met" does not change the nature of the act.

"An extrajudicial killing is the killing of a person by governmental
authorities without the sanction of any judicial proceeding or legal
process. Extrajudicial punishments are by their nature unlawful, since
they bypass the due process of the legal jurisdiction in which they
occur. Extrajudicial killings often target leading political, trade
union, dissident, religious, and social figures and may be carried out
by the state government or other state authorities like the armed
forces and police."

> Anyone think this is annoying? Me too.

it was tedious before the first reply; perhaps we can agree that laws
are poor substitute for ethical reasoning and depart this thread on
common ground...