[pfSense] Hardware requirements for gigabit wirespead

Chris Bagnall pfsense@lists.minotaur.cc
Thu Oct 24 16:48:33 PDT 2013

On 24/10/13 7:31 pm, Adam Thompson wrote:
> If I upgraded to a better-quality unit, or switched to licensed
> spectrum, I could probably eliminate the variability and increase speed
> simultaneously.

Indeed, we have Ubiquiti kit running point to point links in the 5Ghz
unlicensed spectrum (band C) over around 18km which deliver ~65Mbps
throughput. I think our distance record is just shy of 68km.

> Within the Ubiquity line, the AirFiber apparently would get me to
> ~99.99% reliability at ~600Mbps, or ~99.9% reliability at ~1Gbps. Still
> using unlicensed spectrum, using the built-in directional antennas.

Do check the 24Ghz spectrum rules carefully in your jurisdiction -
certainly here in the UK the 24Ghz unlicensed spectrum is limited, and
only allows fairly low power without a licence.

> I do not have personal
> experience with Alvarion, but I can unreservedly recommend Dragonwave.

I'd add Motorola Orthogon kit to that list, based on some offshore
experience with it a few years ago.

Kind regards,

Chris