[serval-project-dev] More on mesh addressing.

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul@servalproject.org
Thu Oct 24 09:16:37 PDT 2013

Hello,

Jeremy I think has answered the broadcast issue, so I will focus more on
the entropy issue.

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 3:48 PM, Miles <myles@tenhand.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:18:36 PM UTC-7, Paul Gardner-Stephen
> wrote:
>>
>> Howdy,
>>

>>> I think it is better that we harvest a nice lump of entropy from the
>> radios rather than install random data (that might give naughty people help
>> reproducing your private keys).  We could read RSSI levels from the UHF
>> radio, hash it a couple of times, and feed some bits into the entropy pool.
>>  This would just require talking to the radio a bit, which isn't too hard.
>>
> Using the radio as a HWRNG is interesting.  Wouldn't RSSI be easily
> predictable (and influenceable) by any observer with an SDR radio?  At the
> very least you'd need to tune the radio to an unknown channel, bandwidth &
> hopping code first. Or use the difference between the two radios in a
> clever way.  User space clock solutions like havaged or DakaRand seem
> easier.

I think clocks are good to use, also.  For the radio RSSI, we could easily
make an entropy gathering mode where the radio hops over quite a wide band,
perhaps from about 870MHz ~ 1000MHz in a random pattern sampling ambient
energy levels, i.e. without talking to a remote radio, just listening.
 Combine that with some clock input, and feeding the RSSI results into the
forward channel selection to help further randomise the hopping sequence
while sampling for RSSI, and we should be able to make a fairly robust
entropy source.  Thoughts?

Paul.