Undernet IPv6 Interop [was: Enigmabox/cjdns]

grarpamp grarpamp@gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 02:23:45 PDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 4:51 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen@leitl.org> wrote:
> Just got word, Enigmabox has published source and
> put up first documentation on http://wiki.enigmabox.net/

This is cjdns. Last I checked (and will again) I'm pretty sure they
were using an IPv6 address scheme that would conflict with
other projects using proper private space. So if say you wanted
to run an interface for each project and run/access/route
them all at once, you can't. Yes, less than 128bits
(say a /48) is pretty weak... but when you can't interoperate [1]
that leaves something to be said for each project to develop an
address layer so you can. There certainly won't ever be more
than 2^48 projects or 2^80 users.

The undernets are getting bigger and having more projects.
They might want to be thinking about interop beforehand.
Otherwise, even though the tech under the hood might
be different, to the user they will appear as bunch of balkanized
communities, and a real pain to use any of them in parallel.

[1] Click on a link to service on any net from a page on any net
and let your host do the routing to get you there. Where any
net = i2p/tor/freenet/phantom/cjdns/anonet/gnunet/etc.
At least four of these do have some IPv6 route capability,
but I thnk only a couple work together reasonably well.