[serval-project-dev] Roaming between mesh extenders

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Mon Oct 14 04:25:54 PDT 2013

----- Forwarded message from Paul Gardner-Stephen <paul@servalproject.org> -----

Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 21:20:34 +1030
From: Paul Gardner-Stephen <paul@servalproject.org>
To: serval-project-developers@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [serval-project-dev] Roaming between mesh extenders

Hello,

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 8:56 PM, Paul Gardner-Stephen <
paul@servalproject.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Eugen Leitl <eugen@leitl.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 07:39:41AM +1030, Paul Gardner-Stephen wrote:

>> public
>> > >

>> > We haven't done that yet.  Partly because in a large network there just
>> > aren't enough IPv4 addresses to support unique IP ranges for each.  We
>> can
>> > of course still greatly reduce the probability of a nearby collision by
>> > doing so, and so probably should, and possibly randomise on boot.
>>
>> Have you looked into cjdns way of doing things?
>

> No, we haven't.  We are quite happy to apply a more sophisticated approach
> than we do now for this.  From a pragmatic perspective it might make sense
> for us to just copy what Commotion do.  I don't know if they are using
> cjdns.

Just a followup having read a little more about cjdns now -- basically
Serval doesn't need cjdns because the Serval overlay mesh network uses
public keys as network addresses.  Being an overlay, it is also possible
for us to use arbitrary transports, and not have to worry about needing
root access on a device.  This means that we can make a 1st-class Android
mesh client that doesn't need root, for example.  The use of public keys as
network addresses means that all communications can be encrypted and
authenticated without any further complications.  The use of IP on Serval
mesh nodes is just to provide something for the mesh to tunnel over, so the
IP configuration is not interesting to us, and can be configured however
the user otherwise wishes if they want it to interoperate with some
existing IP network or mesh.

Paul.

----- End forwarded message -----