[RISKS] Risks Digest 27.50

Tue Oct 1 14:31:11 PDT 2013

RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest  Tuesday 1 October 2013  Volume 27 : Issue 50

ACM FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS (comp.risks)
Peter G. Neumann, moderator, chmn ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy

***** See last item for further information, disclaimers, caveats, etc. *****
This issue is archived at <http://www.risks.org> as
  <http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/27.50.html>
The current issue can be found at
  <http://www.csl.sri.com/users/risko/risks.txt>

  Contents:
Cybersecurity should be seen as an occupation, not a profession (Steve Ragan)
Cost and Responsibility for Snowden's Breaches (Jonathan S. Shapiro)
What Facebook, Twitter, Tinder, Instagram, and Internet Porn Are Doing
  to America's Teenage Girls (Nancy Jo Sales via Monty Solomon)
LAUSD halts home use of iPads for students after devices hacked (Re: Blume,
  RISKS-27.49)
Abridged info on RISKS (comp.risks)

Date: Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 2:50 AM
From: InfoSec News <alerts@infosecnews.org>
Subject: Cybersecurity should be seen as an occupation, not a profession,
  (Steve Ragan)

  [From Dave Farber's IP list]

Steve Ragan, CSO Online, 26 Sep 2013
http://www.csoonline.com/article/740456/cybersecurity-should-be-seen-as-an-occupation-not-a-profession-report-says

A panel from the National Academy of Sciences, commissioned by the U.S.
Department of Homeland Security, says that cybersecurity should be seen as
an occupation and not a profession.  After being commissioned by the
U.S. Department of Homeland Security, a panel from the National Academy of
Sciences reported that the cybersecurity field is too young, and the
technologies, threats, and actions taken to counter them change too rapidly,
for professionalization to be considered. Thus, cybersecurity is an
occupation and not a profession.

For some organizations, making cybersecurity a profession may provide a
useful degree of quality control, the report says, but at the same time,
professionalization also imposes barriers, which would prevent talented
workers from entering the field at a time when "demand for cybersecurity
workers exceeds supply."

Sticking to the quality control aspect of the report, professionalization,
it says, has the potential to attract workers and establish long-term paths
to improving the work force overall, but measures such as standardized
education or requirements for certification, have their disadvantages
too. ...

  [According to *Webster's*, an occupation is the principal business of
  one's life.  Is the world's youngest would-be "profession" somehow in the
  same league as the "world's oldest profession", which might also deserve
  to be called an occupation -- and that it has occupied such a prominent
  place in our civilization?  One more thought: we have often noted here
  that software engineering is not really an engineering discipline,
  although millions of people are occupied with it.  Does that mean that
  software engineering also needs to be termed an occupation rather than a
  profession?  Furthermore, if cybersecurity is really an occupation, then
  we need to recognize the occupational hazards -- one of which seems to be
  that every computer user's life is unfortunately being occupied and
  preoccupied with the collateral damage of the lack of professionalism
  among computer system developers?  (Let's not blame the sys admins, who
  have a really thankless job under the circumstances in trying to protect
  systems and networks that are inherently unprotectable.)  PGN]