Interesting take on Sanjuro's Assassination Market

Jim Bell jamesdbell8 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 30 14:02:40 PST 2013

From: Lodewijk andré de la porte <l at odewijk.nl>

To: Patrick Chkoreff <pc at loom.cc>
Cc: "cypherpunks at cpunks.org" <cypherpunks at cpunks.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 28, 2013 8:37 AM
Subject: Re: Interesting take on Sanjuro's Assassination Market

2013/11/28 Patrick Chkoreff <pc at loom.cc>

You could also crowd fund an investigation of the abhorrent activities
>listed above, finding the people who do such things and stopping them
>with gentle persuasion.
>
>That's good, because decent people outnumber sociopaths by a very large
>margin.
>Solving crime is also very much more expensive than causing it. And the advantage to solving another person's problem is smaller than
> solving your own.
But preventing 'crime' in the first place can be extremely economical.  In America, at least 75% of people in prison are there, directly or indirectly, due to such illegal drugs. (Much more if you include stealing property and general robbery to get enough money to buy those overpriced illegal drugs.)  Remove all such laws against those drugs, and easily 90% of such prisoners can go home immediately, without any fear that they will continue in their prior criminal path.  Now, many people would object that removing laws against those illegal drugs is extremely difficult.  (Only now is marijuana being legalized in a few states, and even there the Feds still insist on calling it illegal.)  But that was, in no small part, why I invented my AP idea.  There are relatively few legislators (at the Federal and State levels) in America.  Get their not-so-voluntary "cooperation" and those drug laws won't last very long.
       Jim Bell