RetroShare

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Sat Nov 16 13:19:03 PST 2013

I am presently using it. I have connected with a significant portion of the
network. I find it is largely inert.

The software is not without flaws. It's design is monolithic, causing any
error to crash the entire system. Plugins increase the fatal error surface,
attack surface and functionality.

The greatest problem with plugins is that I'm never sure how they deal with
my anonymity.

I think Retroshare could well be replaced by something alike Tor, but not
Tor, then to have some quantity of programs connect to it to do interesting
things. That makes it more confusing that it exists, because Tor does
already too.

So, why use Retroshare instead of a Tor hidden service with standard chat
relay? Because Tor is a target and RetroShare is not. And because
Retroshare actually does a lot more than relay chat.

I do not have a solid recommendation. I use it for curiosity reasons now.
Although occasionally stimulating in it's novelty I find it unfit
technically and practically for critical work. It still seems to be the
best tool for the job, not unlike the rock-and-stick tools were the best
for cutting lumber in days long past.

2013/11/16 rysiek <rysiek at hackerspace.pl>

> inb4 "Java suxxorz" -- yes, I tend to hold that view myself; hoever, if
> RetroShare is a workable solution, we can simply add C++/Python/Whatever
> implementations later, right?

I think the implementation is messy. It might be less then normally
convenient to add other implementations.