bitcoin as a global medium of exchange (was Re: Interesting take on Sanjuro's Assassination Market)

Joe Wang joe_wang at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 25 18:40:42 PST 2013

I believe all currencies and crosses are constantly being speculated day-in and day-out.  So  I wouldn't be surprised or worry too much about Bitcoin being speculated.  As long as the market has liquidity and healthy supply/demand it shouldn't be of a problem.

About our point about bitcoin not having any inherent value, isn't energy exerted to mine those coins costs involved?  Hence if people begin to mine more for bitcoins then the cost of energy will go up as difficulty of mining goes up as well.  This is the same concept to your cloud storage example.

I disagree the mining part has nothing to do with bitcoin prices.  Its like saying supply and demand does not affect a price of a goods being sold.  In your example of falling price on Bitcoin (or any other currency) would probably be contributed to liquidity issue.  If no one wants something or all the buyers are not making the bid doesn't matter what kind of scheme you use the price will fall and will fall hard.  This goes for everything in this world. Tulip, Gold, Silver, Copper, etc.  But when the price fall doesn't mean the product itself lacks value.  Last I remembered I still had to pay for that basket of tulips I sent for mothers day.

-Joe