bitcoin as a global medium of exchange (was Re: Interesting take on Sanjuro's Assassination Market)

Jim Bell jamesdbell8 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 25 18:01:46 PST 2013

The use of CPU 'effort' as 'earning' bitcoins (or other electronic currency) was a good idea.  Problem is, there's plenty of electricity being wasted in the process.  It seems to me that it should be possible to develop some sort of use for this dedicated CPU effort.  What's a major use of CPU power?  One is weather forecasting, another is simulations of various kinds.  These use huge amounts of computer-time, and if they are made to be sufficiently divisible people could earn digital-coin by doing things that are actually valuable in and of themselves.

    Jim Bell