RetroShare

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Sun Nov 17 15:44:14 PST 2013

Retroshare isn't "like tor", it's "the opposite of tor".

Tor establishes a network of mutual distrust (kinda; you still trust
some aspects of the network such as the directory servers).

Retroshare establishes a network of mutual trust, although you can
withhold certain details such as whether you or merely a friend known
to you is sharing the files you make available (although as mentioned
by another this is likely to be traceable with enough network data).

For high-security work, something like i2p or Tor is probably better.
For an alternative to daily, casual internet traffic, Retroshare's
*idea* is probably superior; by relying on existing relationships of
trust, you can probably get better performance, and data that's
relevant to your interests is likely to be nearby in the network
because of social networking effects.

However, the flipside is without existing relationships of trust,
you're dead in the water; I tried Retroshare for a while but had no
friends on it, so had no access to the "core network" through any
trusted links.

Also, I get mixed signals about the developer attitude to some security
aspects of the P2P side of things. For example, they use SHA1 for the
distributed hash table, whereas in my opinion one should never use an
even partially broken hash for a *hash table*; you never know what
exploits are known privately that further break the hash, and should
generally assume it's fully broken if your threat model includes
adversaries like the NSA. If you're willing to compromise on the
quality of the hash that underlies the entire P2P end of the system,
I'm wary about your attitude to security overall.

This wasn't such a big deal 'til I saw some anons advocating Retroshare
as a "usable crypto" solution. Well, it is; if your adversary is a
talent-starved rent-seeking quango like the RIAA. If your adversary is
the world's biggest circle-jerk of military cryptographers, I wouldn't
go there, personally.

Maybe I'm paranoid about SHA1? I'm eager for other opinions here.
Crypto is an area where the Dunning Kruger only gets worse the deeper
you go.