RetroShare

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Sat Nov 16 14:19:58 PST 2013

2013/11/16 rysiek <rysiek at hackerspace.pl>

> So I guess this is my question: does RetroShare's protocol seem solid and
> sensible? Should we invest time and effort into it?

It's basic concepts are pretty well considered. It's quite like Tor only
the first nodes are "trusted nodes" and not just any random one. That said
I think the whole RetroShare thingy is shot to hell regarding traffic
analysis. That's hard for everyone except the Top Secret level people.

Far as I know there's no deep-communication tactics except
store-and-forward for forums. That's some weakness if you ask me. Finding a
file based on a hash requires broadcasting the request for the hash, which
will likely flood through (part of) the network. Tracing back a flood is
pretty easy with a few nodes.

Invest in it? Not a bad thing to invest in. But it's not that special on
the crypto/security level AFAIK. I think the whole P2P thing is a bigger
deal than the crypto part of it.