RetroShare

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Sat Nov 16 13:29:03 PST 2013

Dnia sobota, 16 listopada 2013 22:19:03 Lodewijk andré de la porte pisze:
> I am presently using it. I have connected with a significant portion of the
> network. I find it is largely inert.
>
> (...)
>
> I do not have a solid recommendation. I use it for curiosity reasons now.
> Although occasionally stimulating in it's novelty I find it unfit
> technically and practically for critical work. It still seems to be the
> best tool for the job, not unlike the rock-and-stick tools were the best
> for cutting lumber in days long past.

Thank you for your comments. These are valuable, and they seem to confirm my
(short) experience with it.

> 2013/11/16 rysiek <rysiek at hackerspace.pl>
>
> > inb4 "Java suxxorz" -- yes, I tend to hold that view myself; hoever, if
> > RetroShare is a workable solution, we can simply add C++/Python/Whatever
> > implementations later, right?
>
> I think the implementation is messy. It might be less then normally
> convenient to add other implementations.

I am more interested in the protocol. People are already using RetroShare,
right? It's FLOSS, it has some sort of a protocol underneath. So it is
possible to create new implementations that do not make errors of the original
one.

*IF* (and that's a pretty big "if") the protocol is solid, of which I have no
way to ascertain.

So I guess this is my question: does RetroShare's protocol seem solid and
sensible? Should we invest time and effort into it?

As it is the first DHT-based communication and filesharing application/system
based on strong encryption that is actually usable -- at least from what I
have seen.

--
Pozdr
rysiek