(Times of Israel) Stuxnet, gone rogue, hit Russian nuke plant, space station (fwd)

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Thu Nov 14 04:38:10 PST 2013

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013, Cathal Garvey (Phone) wrote:

> But what if they use BadBIOS to beam into space on a microwave carrier
> by modulating the PSU of all infected laptops at once?!

I understand your point, however, we aren't talking about just any old
system, we are discussing the most critical parts of electronic
infrastructure here.  When you've got a computer controlling fission, or
power distribution {$your critical infrastructure of choice}, this is
simply a Best Practice.  Hell, if we can do this for crap like public
Internet carriers[1], why is it unreasonable to do this for actual
critical systems?

//Alif

[1] I have worked for or with several internet carriers who enforced this
kind of security around their core systems: the smallest was a very small
regional carrier, while the largest was a multinational NSP.  The only
potential losses were dollars - painful but not necessarily fatal, or with
any national security interest.  If a dipshit regional carrier can do
this, a power company failing to do so is simply negligent.

And yes, I know that power companies are notoriously casual with their
SCADA systems: it makes me crazy to think about it.
--
Those who make peaceful change impossible,
make violent revolution inevitable.

An American Spring is coming:
   one way or another.