[SOT] {FWD} [Dailydave] Don't use vowels in passwords! (fwd)

David Vorick david.vorick at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 10:40:53 PST 2013

I could see this as being a good strategy if you didn't declare it, but by
eliminating vowels you reduce the search space.

It's only a good tactic if people actually switching from using dictionary
words to using something with higher entropy. More likely though, you'll
start to see things like 'bbbddq' or 'cmplt sntnce,' and the users will
still be susceptible to dictionary attacks.

It's important to remember that a good dictionary attack has a dictionary
that is much larger than a list of words in different languages, it also
has common patterns. This sort of restraint probably reduces the usage of
dictionary words but increases the usage of other common patterns.

I don't like it.