patents in a free society (Re: Brother can you help a fiber?)

Jim Bell jamesdbell8 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 10 18:40:52 PST 2013

________________________________
 From: Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at rushpost.com>
To: cypherpunks at cpunks.org
Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2013 5:27 PM
Subject: Re: patents in a free society (Re: Brother can you help a  fiber?)

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013, at 07:38 PM, Bill Stewart wrote:

>> Some of us strongly believe in intellectual property.  Some of us
>> believe that initiating force to defend "imaginary property" that's
>> really a euphemism for a government-granted monopoly is both
>> dishonest and anathema.

>I agree with the concepts of copyrights, patents (for physical
>inventions only), trademarks, trade dress, and trade secrets.
>I disagree completely with the use of the term "intellectual property"
>because the laws governing copyrights, patents, trademarks, trade dress,
>and trade secrets are not property laws. Not only is the term
>"intellectual property" deceptive, misleading, and ambiguous, the people
>who brought it to us are the same ones who would love to shut down
>BitTorrent and similar information sharing technologies.
>  Shawn K. Quinn
 > skquinn at rushpost.com

Can we all agree that if a 'patent system' were implemented by 'voluntary-ist' methods, that doesn't involve government-initiated force, that would solve the problem:  Those that agreed with copyrights/patents would buy only from stores that specialize in copyright/patent-honoring products/manufacturers; others would buy from all stores, including those that sold non-copyright/patent-honoring products.
    Jim Bell