sidebands of great justice [was: Meet “badBIOS,” the mysterious Mac and PC malware that jumps airgaps]

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Fri Nov 8 11:45:11 PST 2013

On Thu, Nov 07, 2013 at 11:32:13PM -0800, coderman wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 8:44 PM, David I. Emery <die at dieconsulting.com> wrote:
> > ... sending modulated tones over
> > a speaker to a remote microphone is likely wickedly full of multipath
> > ... Sound does
> > not propagate all that fast compared to useful data rates after all.
> >
> >         So OFDM is good.
>

> you can even run OFDM in 900Mhz with the Ubiquiti SR9 radios, oldies but goodies
>
> combine MIMO with OFDM for even more multipath resistance and throughput.
>  (MIMO audio channels ala dolby applied is amusing ;)
>

> SDR MIMO kit leaves much to be desired, however...

Ettus has some new lower-cost SDR boards that are getting approving
glances from several of my radio-savvy friends:

https://www.ettus.com/product/category/USRP-Bus-Series

And the new kid on the block is Nuand BladeRF, with a half-the-cost
design that seems pretty promising:

https://nuand.com/

Both of these theoretically support MIMO, with clock distribution
available as an added-cost option to sync up multiple boards' Tx/Rx.

-andy