fuck these guys

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Thu Nov 7 10:23:44 PST 2013

* Eugen Leitl quotes:

> The traffic shown in the slides below is now all encrypted and the
> work the NSA/GCHQ staff did on understanding it, ruined.

Encryption is not a solution to the problem.  The attack on Google
shows that NSA/GCHQ that companies in Western countries and their
employees are legitimate targets for covert operations by their
intelligence services (same for the BND attacks on 1&1 and other
German ISPs, we don't have to single out the Obama administration or
the British here).  Once that is established, those intelligence
services can use all the tools in their portfolio.  This includes
turning employees against their colleagues and their employer, and
things far worse.  Suddenly, passive eavesdropping might not have been
so bad after all.

If you are their target, you lose.  The solution is to make it illegal
that they target you, reign in executive privilege (again, a global
issue) and restore the rule of law.  Obviously, that's a bit more
difficult to turn on some crypto.