Brother can you help a fiber?

Jim Bell jamesdbell8 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 6 15:14:01 PST 2013

    I don't quite know why I received the message below, but I am answering (including cypherpunks at cpunks.org) since it seems a good time to do so given the humorous connection to my isotopically-modified optical fiber invention.  And, I would like to make a request, indeed an offer.

    A few weeks ago, when I re-appeared on cypherpunks.org, I pointed out that my patent application was recently (mid-July 2013) published by the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).  See  http://www.freepatentsonline.com/WO2013101261A1.html     This is an invention that I thought of in December 2008, stuck in a prison cell at USP Tucson:  I realized that much of the index of refraction of ordinary silica (which is about 1.46; of that amount above an index of 1.000) was due to the presence of Si-29 atoms.  (Si-29 is the only naturally-existing silicon atom with an 'electromagnetic spin', due to its unpaired neutron circulating in the nucleus.)  I concluded that by dramatically reducing the proportion of Si-29 atoms, which amount to about 4.67% atom/atom in ordinary silicon, it would be possible to make silica with a much-lower index of refraction:   Probably between 1.10 and 1.02, but the amount is uncertain.
    One big advantage of this fiber will be a far-higher 'velocity factor', approaching 0.90-0.98 of 'c', where 'c' is physicist-speak for the speed of light in a vacuum, compared with ordinary silicon optical fibers with a velocity factor of 1/1.46, or 0.685 of 'c'.  This will amount to a dramatically-faster signal velocity.   While not quite as fast as line-of-sight microwave, or neutrino-beams piercing the earth, it would be significant.

 Other advantages will be a
 reduction in optical loss by perhaps a factor of 10x (from perhaps 0.19 db/km in existing fibers to 0.019 db/km), a reduction of optical dispersion by a similar factor of 10x, and an increase in useable optical bandwidth from 50 nanometers wavelength (1510-1560 nm) to 800 nm (1000-1800 nm).  (The practical limit on fiber tends to be the limitation on the gain-bandwidth of EDFA's;  Erbium-Doped Fiber Amplifiers  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erbium_doped_fiber_amplifier#Erbium-doped_fiber_amplifiers   ).

    Shortly I will begin preparing a prototype for this fiber, which will cost between $200-250K.  (USD).  I have received a committment for this amount.  However, having filed for a US Patent (specifically, a PCT or 'Patent Cooperation Treaty' filing), it will be necessary to file for many dozens more 'national-stage' patents:  The way patents work, around the world, is that a person must file for a patent in each nation around the world that he desires to have patent-protection in.  A national-stage patent costs about $10,000.  Generally, the reasoning is that an inventor should file for a patent in any country:
1.    Where a significant amount of the invention will be made.
2.     Where a significant amount of the invention will be used.
    If I assume that the royalty per meter of fiber is $0.25/meter (25 American cents per meter), it would be worth filing for a patent if the amount of fiber made or used is $10,000/$0.25, or 40,000 meters of fiber.  This would be about 1.1 kilometers of cable that has 36 fibers in it.  Obviously, even the smallest country would use enough fiber to justify obtaining a patent.

    There are 148 PCT-signatory countries.    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_cooperation_treaty    I would like to obtain, at the very least, national-stage patents in at least 40 nations, probably 80 nations, and possibly as much as 120 nations.  That would cost about $400,000, $800,000, or $1.2 million. (USD).   I have considered raising the money by means of a Kickstarter campaign, but that site is oriented to collecting donations of money:  It is specifically prohibited that a project proponent promise a financial return on such a contribution.  But I'm not looking for a handout:  I'm looking for a loan which will be paid back.   Perhaps that's called a 'bond'?
    How would it be paid back?  Corning says that 300 billion meters of fiber were manufactured in about 2012.  If I get a market-share of 10%, that's 30 billion meters per year.  At a royalty of, say, $0.25 per meter of fiber, that would be $7.5 billion per year.  With even a tiny fraction of such a value, I could pay a huge return on a loan to finance these national-stage patent applications.  I see nothing wrong with a 3x return:   $3 returned for each dollar loaned, probably within 1-2 years.  Does this sound interesting?
     Jim Bell