Re: Meet “badBIOS,” the mysterious Mac and PC malware that jumps airgaps

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 00:24:37 PDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 11:44 PM, Jim Bell <jamesdbell8 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> It has been about 31 years since I worked at Intel; at the time they were
> developing the first DRAMs with 'redundancy':  The ability to swap out
> 'rows' and 'columns', or potentially blocks, of storage elements.   This was
> done to be able to drastically increase the yield of such chips:   Test
> programs were written to identify errors (single bits; bad rows; bad
> columns; bad blocks) and swap out with 'invisible' rows/columns/blocks with
> others.  Presumably, modern flash ROM has long used similar abilities.  If
> that is the case, there is some kind of ordinarily-invisible storage areas
> (blocks, most likely) in those flash-drives.  Such areas were sometimes
> 'activated' (made to appear/disappear) by out-of-spec voltages (above +5
> volts), but it's possible also that reading or 'writing' combinations of
> pre-specified data would also do this.  It's been too long for me to give
> detailed assistance, but I can well imagine that 'they' are taking advantage
> of such 'features'.

Intel would be a strange beast for you today Jim.

there's a secret underground facility in Oregon (perhaps Cali too) for
classified intelligence work.  some small fraction of Intel employees
even know it exists. (maybe i'll post GPS coords?)

there they sequester CPU vulnerability research of sufficient
implication.  there they sequester hardware level exploitation
research of sufficient implication. there they work on TS/SCI
compartmented projects for USGOV.

these people do not have your best interests at heart!

whatever justifications they hoid dear and true are facades for
compliance.  sooner or later this will come to light, and it is
incredibly disheartening to see loyalty twisted toward state power
under guise of social good and justice.

make no mistake: these efforts are a direct affront to freedom,
liberty, and other ideals we hold paramount.

NO MORE SECRETS