Radiation Emission Controls

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jul 31 07:23:15 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 03:18:51PM -0400, Riad S. Wahby wrote:
> John Young <jya at pipeline.com> wrote:
> > Since nearly all government and commercial data centers
> > have generator back-ups, how are emissions from generators
> > controlled?
>
> On assumes that transient emissions, e.g., from a starter motor, follow
> less stringent guidelines. And if the generators are diesel, they also
> don't use spark plugs.
>
> This is also consistent with having some urea on site for treating
> diesel exhaust.

Is there any RF sigint at all done at the Utah site? It could
all well be just a big crunch and storage facility. It would
help if we had a good fiber map of the general area.

I suspect that the NSA is doing a lot of decentral signal
prefiltering and processing at the network edge, and only uses
large central facilities if they're unavoidable.