[linux-elitists] Evil in certain broadband marketsa isn't really evil

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jul 31 06:47:16 PDT 2013

----- Forwarded message from Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org> -----

Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 05:38:11 -0700
From: Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org>
To: linux-elitists at zgp.org
Subject: Re: [linux-elitists] Evil in certain broadband marketsa isn't really evil

begin Rick Moen quotation of Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 05:07:50PM -0700:

> http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/07/google-neutrality/
> Now That It's in the Broadband Game, Google Flip-Flops on Network Neutrality

Douglas McClendon sounds like our kind of people.
  http://cloudsession.com/dawg/downloads/misc/kag-draft-2k121024.pdf
  http://cloudsession.com/dawg/profile/

I posted this in a thread on this topic on another
mailing list where some relevant Google people are
also active:

Thanks to the CFAA, violating your ToS is a _felony_.

I understand that you want to use plain language, and
not be "lawyerly", but if you're a ToS writer, Federal
law has been outsourced to you, and you have to deal
with it.  (CFAA reform is a separate issue--I'm just
talking about the law as it stands now.)

How can you tell people, "you're party to a legally
binding contract that can put you in Federal prison
if you violate it, but go ahead and break it, off
the record we're fine with that"?

It's as if someone interrupted the office Nerf gun
wars to take your Nerf pistol and hand you a real
gun -- and you kept playing.

--
Don Marti                      +1-510-332-1587 (mobile)
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/        Alameda, California, USA
dmarti at zgp.org

----- End forwarded message -----