Max Blumenthal on Security Forum (Eugen Leitl)

OTR otr at riseup.net
Wed Jul 31 12:24:22 PDT 2013

First, glad to be here. Missed the cypherpunks the first time around.
I'm going to want to get to know you folks for my ongoing coverage of --
and book project on -- Snowden, NSA and the surveillance-industrial
revolution.

Second, while it's nice (and rather unexpected) to get a shout-out from
Alternet, I wouldn't agree that every other journalist at Aspen was an
acolyte. Michael Isikoff did a good job of pushing his panel, especially
U.S. Attorney Neil MacBride, who is Snowden's designated prosecutor (and
is trying to jail James Risen to force testimony in the Sterling leak
case). Pete Williams is also a terrific reporter. He met charm with
charm but gently walked Keith Alexander into a corner, eliciting
unambiguous statements that the NSA will have to defend as time goes on.
Plus, he called on people he knew would ask tough questions.

Oh, and yes, Aspen covered my travel costs. I assume it did the same for
others. No speaker fee was offered or requested.