[tahoe-dev] press release: LeastAuthority.com announces Spy-Proof Backup

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jul 31 06:49:23 PDT 2013

----- Forwarded message from Zooko Wilcox-OHearn <zooko at leastauthority.com> -----

Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 11:36:52 +0000
From: Zooko Wilcox-OHearn <zooko at leastauthority.com>
To: Tahoe-LAFS development <tahoe-dev at tahoe-lafs.org>
Subject: [tahoe-dev] press release: LeastAuthority.com announces Spy-Proof Backup

Folks:

We're really happy to be offering our LAFS-based ciphertext storage
service to the public! Please spread the word. Thank you very much to
everyone in our little community for making things like this possible.

Regards,

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn

Founder, CEO, and Customer Support Rep

https://LeastAuthority.com

            LeastAuthority.com Announces A Spy-Proof Storage Service

   Wednesday, July 31, 2013

   [1]LeastAuthority.com today announced “Simple Secure Storage Service
   (S4)”, a backup service that encrypts your files to protect them from the
   prying eyes of spies and criminals.

   “People deserve privacy and security in the digital data that make up our
   daily lives.” said the company's founder and CEO, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn.
   “As an individual or a business, you shouldn't have to give up control
   over your data in order to get the benefits of cloud storage.”

                         verifiable end-to-end security

   The Simple Secure Storage Service offers verifiable end-to-end security.

   It offers “end-to-end security” because all of the customer's data is
   encrypted locally — on the customer's own personal computer — before it is
   uploaded to the cloud. During its stay in the cloud, it cannot be
   decrypted by LeastAuthority.com, nor by anyone else, without the
   decryption key which is held only by the customer.

   S4 offers “verifiable end-to-end security” because all of the source code
   that makes up the Simple Secure Storage Service is published for everyone
   to see. Not only is the source code publicly visible, but it also comes
   with Free (Libre) and Open Source rights granted to the public allowing
   anyone to inspect the source code, experiment on it, alter it, and even to
   distribute their own version of it and to sell commercial services.

   Wilcox-O'Hearn says “If you rely on closed-source, proprietary software,
   then you're just taking the vendor's word for it that it actually provides
   the end-to-end security that they claim. As the PRISM scandal shows, that
   claim is sometimes a lie.”

   The web site of LeastAuthority.com proudly states “We can never see your
   data, and you can always see our code.”.

                               trusted by experts

   The Simple Secure Storage Service is built on a technology named
   “Least-Authority File System (LAFS)”. LAFS has been studied and used by
   computer scientists, hackers, Free and Open Source software developers,
   activists, the U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, and the
   U.S. National Security Agency.

   The design has been published in a peer-reviewed scientific workshop:
   Wilcox-O'Hearn, Zooko, and Brian Warner. “Tahoe: the least-authority
   filesystem.” Proceedings of the 4th ACM international workshop on Storage
   security and survivability. ACM, 2008.
   [2]http://eprint.iacr.org/2012/524.pdf

   It has been cited in more than 50 scientific research papers, and has
   received plaudits from the U.S. Comprehensive National Cybersecurity
   Initiative, which stated: “Systems like Least-Authority File System are
   making these methods immediately usable for securely and availably storing
   files at rest; we propose that the methods be further reviewed, written
   up, and strongly evangelized as best practices in both government and
   industry.”

   Dr. Richard Stallman, President of the Free Software Foundation
   ([3]https://fsf.org/) said “Free/Libre software is software that the users
   control. If you use only free/libre software, you control your local
   computing — but using the Internet raises other issues of freedom and
   privacy, which many network services don't respect. The Simple Secure
   Storage Service (S4) is an example of a network service that does respect
   your freedom and privacy.”

   Jacob Appelbaum, Tor project developer ([4]https://www.torproject.org/)
   and WikiLeaks volunteer ([5]http://wikileaks.org/), said “LAFS's design
   acknowledges the importance of verifiable end-to-end security through
   cryptography, Free/Libre release of software and transparent peer-reviewed
   system design.”

   The LAFS software is already packaged in several widely-used operating
   systems such as Debian GNU/Linux and Ubuntu.

   [6]https://LeastAuthority.com