Getting started

Moritz moritz at headstrong.de
Tue Jul 30 19:46:20 PDT 2013

On 31.07.2013 01:56, Max R.D. Parmer wrote:
> Have you read "Cypherpunks: Freedom and the Future of the Internet" yet?
> Helpful for getting a good chunk of the contemporary and historical context.

You might also like:

Crypto Anarchy, Cyberstates, and Pirate Utopias
Peter Ludloff
http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/0262621517

What the Dormouse Said: How the Sixties Counterculture Shaped the
Personal Computer Industry
John Markoff
http://www.amazon.com/What-Dormouse-Said-Counterculture-Personal/dp/0143036769

Some random reading list on the broader spectrum:

  * Scott Adams: Dilbert
  * Mitch Albom: Tuesdays with Morrie
  * Saul Alinsky: Rules for Radicals
  * Günther Andreas: Die molussische Katakombe (1933), Die
Antiquiertheit des Menschen
  * Charles Babbage: On the Mental Division of Labour
  * Jasper Becker: Hungry Ghosts
  * Frederico Biancuzzi, Shane Warden: Masterminds of Programming (2009)
  * Jorge Luís Borges: Any short story collection you want
  * John Brunner: The Shockwave Rider (1975)
  * Mikhail Bulgakov: The Master and Margarita
  * Anthony Burgess
  * Vanevar Bush: "As We May Think"
  * Italo Calvino: Invisible Cities, Cosmicomics, Marcovaldo
  * E.R. Carmin: Das schwarze Reich (2002)
  * C. J. Cherryh: Cyteen
  * Arthur C. Clark: A Meeting With Medusa (1972)
  * Anton Chekhov: "The Lady With the Little Dog"
  * The Dark Mountain Project: Dark Mountain Volume 2 (2011)
  * Guy Debord: Society of the Spectacle
  * Frederick Douglass: Collected Autobiographies
  * Umberto Eco: Foucault's Pendulum
  * Warren Ellis: Transmetropolitan
  * Ralph Ellison: Invisible Man
  * Georgina Ferry: A Computer called LEO (2004)
  * Jasper Fforde: Shades of Gray
  * Illiad Frazer: User Friendly
  * Neil Gaiman: Sandman
  * Garner: A Dictionary of Modern English Usage
  * Emma Goldman: Anarchism and Other Essays, My Disillusionment in Russia
  * Gandhi: Autobiography
  * Gene Sharp
  * William Gibson
  * Hackerbibel 1+2
  * Robert Heinlein: The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
  * Douglas R. Hofstadter: Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid
(1999)
  * Andrew Hunt: The Pragmatic Programmer (1999)
  * Orlando Figes: A People's Tragedy
  * Sho Fumimura and Ryoichi Ikegami: Sanctuary
  * Erich Jantsch: The self-organising Universe (1979)
  * Robert Jungk
  * David Kahn: "The Codebreakers"
  * Paul Lafargue: Das Recht auf Faulheit. Widerlegung des Rechtes auf
Arbeit. (1883)
  * Steven Levy: Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution
  * David Lewis: Counterfactuals (2001)
  * Johnny Long: Stealing the Network (2009)
  * Peter Ludlow: Crypto Anarchy, Cyberstates, and Pirate Utopias (2001)
  * Ernest Mandell
  * John Markoff: What the Dormouse Said: How the Sixties Counterculture
Shaped the Personal Computer Industry (2006)
  * Werner Mayer-Eppler: Grundlagen und Anwendungen der
Informationstheorie (1959)
  * Mandela: The Long Walk To Freedom (Autobiography)
  * Mondo 2000 - A User's Guide to the New Edge (1992)
  * [[http://monochrom.at/mono/|monochrom print]]
  * Jenna Moran: Hitherby Dragons (online only; a book is coming out soon)
  * Grant Morrison: The Invisibles
  * Günter Myrell: Daten-Schatten
  * Theodor Nelson: Computer Lib/Dream Machines (1974)
  * Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata: Death Note
  * Manfred Osten: Das geraubte Gedächtnis (2004)
  * P.M.: Bolo Bolo (1983), Subcoma (2000)
  * [[http://www.gruenekraft.com/|Werner Pieper and the Grüne Kraft]]
  * Milorad Pavić: Dictionary of the Khazars
  * Victor Pelevin: The Yellow Arrow, The Helmet of Horror, anything you
can find in English (or Russian, if you can read that)
  * Tim Powers: Last Call
  * Thomas Pynchon: The Crying of Lot 49
  * Bertrand Russell: In Praise of Idleness (1935)
  * Mark Russinovich: Windows Internals, Zero Day
  * Melissa Scott: Trouble and her Friends (or anything else, really)
  * Vikram Seth: The Golden Gate
  * Carla Speed McNeil: Finder
  * Oswald Spengler: Untergang des Abendlandes
  * Karl Steinbruch: Falsch programmiert. Über das Versagen unserer
Gesellschaft... (1968)
  * Neal Stephenson
  * Daniel Suarez: Daemon, Freedom
  * Andrew S. Tanenbaum
  * Thoreau: Civil Disobedience
  * Tad Tuleja: The Catalog of Lost Books
  * Sherry Turkle: The Second Self
  * Vernor Vinge: "True Names", "A Deepness in the Sky", "A Fire Upon
the Deep"
  * Norbert Wiener: Cybernetics or Control and Communication in the
Animal and the Machine (1948)
  * Theodore J. Kaczynski
  * David Foster Wallace: Infinite Jest
  * Bill Watterson: Calvin & Hobbes
  * Donald Westlake: Under an English Heaven
  * Robert Anton Wilson: The Illuminatus
  * Tom Wolfe: The Electronic Cool-Aid Acid Test (1968)
  * Malaclypse The Younger: Principia Discordia: Or "How I Found
Goddess, and What I Did to Her When I Found Her" (1965-1991)