[serval-project-dev] Building Dissent Networks: Towards Effective Countermeasures against Large-Scale Communications Blackouts

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Tue Jul 23 02:53:06 PDT 2013

----- Forwarded message from "8f6e58ee@gmail.com" <8f6e58ee@gmail.com> -----

Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 09:50:05 +0200
From: "8f6e58ee@gmail.com" <8f6e58ee@gmail.com>
To: serval-project-developers <serval-project-developers@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [serval-project-dev] Building Dissent Networks: Towards Effective Countermeasures against Large-Scale Communications Blackouts

Abstract:
Large-scale communications blackouts, such as those
carried out by Egypt and Libya in 2011 and Syria in
2012 and 2013, have motivated a series of projects that
aim to enable citizens to communicate even in the face
of such heavy-handed censorship efforts. A common
theme across these proposals has been the use of wire-
less mesh networks. We argue that such networks are
poorly equipped to serve as a meaningful countermea-
sure against large-scale blackouts due to their intrin-
sically poor scaling properties. We further argue that
projects in this space must consider user safety as first
design priority and thus far have failed to preserve user
anonymity and to rely only on innocuous hardware.
>From these two insights, we frame a definition of
dissent networks to capture the essential requirements for
blackout circumvention solutions

http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~yahel/papers/Building_Dissent_Networks-Towards_Effective_Countermeasures_against_Large-Scale_Communications_Blackouts.FOCI2013.pdf

----- End forwarded message -----