[DIYbio] Science research papers require viewing Adverts, no-thanks to Science/AAAS

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Sun Jul 21 03:43:36 PDT 2013

----- Forwarded message from James Salsman <jsalsman@gmail.com> -----

Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 11:06:08 -0600
From: James Salsman <jsalsman@gmail.com>
To: science-liberation-front@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [DIYbio] Science research papers require viewing Adverts, no-thanks to Science/AAAS

I think there is some potential and nuance here that we should explore
in depth. Wouldn't free papers with clearly labeled ads be a
substantially better alternative to exclusively for-pay research
articles?  I mean, nobody would boycott a scientific journal which
paid for its publication by accepting responsible ads, would they?
Although I strongly approve of measures to automatically hide ads for
those who wish to do sp (and I advocate to protect such systems
frequently, occasionally at some inconvenience and risk to my ability
to continue research and development work with corporations funded by
ads) there are times when viewing ads unquestionably provides useful
data about existing and potential sponsorship. That information is
sometimes very valuable to researchers seeking supplemental funding
for their work, as well as understanding the economic attributes of
suppliers, re-sellers, large influencers and conglomerates affecting
their research landscape.

----- End forwarded message -----