request for transcript: Bruce Schneier and Eben Moglen discuss a post-Snowden Internet

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 00:27:16 PST 2013

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 11:57 PM, Juan Garofalo <juan.g71 at gmail.com> wrote:
> [ a lot of things ... ]

this is all coming to a few conclusions, where we simply disagree:

a) the black budget was leaked, along with other leaks about technical
capabilities and programs and priorities.  intelligence community is
not immune to government budget pressure.  you insist there is a
limitless expansion, and an unlimited technical ability.  i disagree.

b) you insist Tor's origins and funding sources are proof of
malfeasance; they've responded by diversifying funding. (not to
mention scrutiny of Tor by external, mututally un-trusting parties.
you can look at the code yourself, and interface with controller and
path construction yourself, etc.)

c) we both appear to agree that limiting solutions to technical realms
is missing the bigger picture.  yes to political reform that cuts
funding and restricts scope. yes to judicial reforms which demolish
secret orders and secret courts. yes to social measures which value
and reinforce privacy. yes to educational efforts which empower
individuals to make privacy positive decisions, etc.

last but not least, i second the call to fix it.  help write something better!