[Cryptography] Size of the PGP userbase?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Dec 15 20:26:37 PST 2013

On 2013-12-15 21:09, grarpamp wrote:
>> Phillip H-B, et al have been saying...
>> [email encryption, etc]
>> What is the gap we have to close to turn this on by default?
>
> How many times has this been rehashed the last six months?
> You can't fix email as we know it today using todays bolt-ons,
> protocols and corporate stakeholders/services trying to profit from it.
> The only way to have any real global seamless success is to go
> ground up with a completely new model. IMO, that will be some
> form of p2p message system where every address is a crypto key,
> masked for grandma by her contact list, decrypted out your p2p
> daemon and piped into your local mail processing (MUA/filter/lists)
> and filesystem (encryption). At least that way your local mail tools
> will still work (no one will give those up anyway).

So if you are communicating with one of these new fangled email
addresses, you have to have the software that encrypts, and your message
is secure - because you are not using the old email protocol, though
there may something on your computer that pretends to use old email
protocol for the benefit of your client.