BlueHat v13 crypto talks - request for leaks ;)

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Sat Dec 14 02:55:13 PST 2013

I can answer for Cryptopocalype. :)  I had a follow-up blog post after
Black Hat, but the crux is looking for the next crypto black swan. Joux's
work in optimizing the function field sieve for fields of a small
characteristic has been a significance improvement kind of out of left
field. If he or anyone else made improvements to the FFS for fields of a
large  characteristic or the GNFS - we would be in a bad way. The security
margin on the ECDLP is greater than DL or factoring and while we've got the
algorithms, the implementations are sometimes missing and the ability to
pivot, in software update mechanisms, in CAs, everywhere - is completely
missing. ECC has other attributes that make it attractive too, so let's get
the plumbing ready, so we can support a quick pivot away from RSA and over
to ECC if we have to.

I copied Justin rather than (poorly) summarize his work.

-tom

(Just landed, sent from the baggage claim, excuse brevity)