[cryptography] Which encryption chips are compromised?

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 23:41:41 PST 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 9:15 PM, Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org> wrote:
> ...  Since the source document appears to be the same
> for both, an enterprising DTP jockey could use -clean-1.pdf to tune the
> document settings precisely, and then use -project.pdf to search for
> better unredaction matches.

i remember seeing software to do this, but for the life of me cannot
find it.  anyone?

my favorite redaction technique is still the Adobe white text on white
background in PDF trick; combine with a filter for CONFIDENTIAL /
PROPRIETARY and you've got a fire hose of informative flotsam...[0]

best regards,

0. "The Revenge of Distance: Vulnerability Analysis of Critical
Information Infrastructure"
  http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0310427
back when Sean Goreman's work and post 9/11 hysteria combined to drive
critical infrastructure information into access controlled obscurity
(not even FCC outage reports public!) i used this technique with
custom deep web crawlers for court documents and other technical
references.  code doesn't care about color ;)   thus fiber counts
along specific rights of way allocated to named customers provided the
specific capacity information needed to make useful models for
measuring "spatial implications of telecommunications infrastructure
susceptibility to targeted attack".  this was the first time i wrote
code that actually scared/disturbed me :o