Fwd: [zs-p2p] [Cryptography] Fwd: [IP] 'We cannot trust' Intel and Via's chip-based crypto, FreeBSD developers say

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 00:11:18 PST 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: coderman <coderman at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Subject: Re: [zs-p2p] [Cryptography] Fwd: [IP] 'We cannot trust' Intel
and Via's chip-based crypto, FreeBSD developers say
To: zs-p2p at zerostate.is

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Bill Cox <waywardgeek at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I'm going to modify it a bit to use the resistors available on my chip
> and reduce the caps, fix the supply sensitivity, and I think I can run 16 of
> these things in parallel at 100-200MHz on the tiny .35u CMOS chip I'm
> designing.  I'll spit out the raw waveforms from the inverters, buffered
> once, through 16 "analog" pins, so there wont be any fear (hopefully) that
> I'm cooking the data on-chip, before you can see it, and I'll open-source
> the schematics.  If there's a circuit that can consume all 1.6Gbit/sec of
> this raw data, have fun with it!

raw samples at 1.6Gb/s would be useful infrequently[0]; raw samples
from a trusted device extremely useful at any bitrate!

what is "my chip" and how can we find out more / support your efforts?

best regards,

0. to date i have only maxed out 400Mb/s raw VIA Padlock sources for
SSD FDE initialization and constructed experiments in temporal key
rolling.  it is however common to regularly consume on the order of
10Mb/s on a busy server, generating many keys, using crypto happy
software, etc.  (this is why every processor, every embedded device
should have a physical entropy source, with access to raw samples.
still waiting...)