Jacob Appelbaum in Germany

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 03:08:12 PST 2013

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 1:46 AM, Jim Bell <jamesdbell8 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I currently do not have a PGP key. ...  If I go back and start
> using PGP again (even if only for signing things) I wonder what they will
> think.  At the moment I have little need for secrecy, so I choose to not do
> PGP.

this makes sense, and leads to a question; see below.

> (Also, I am virtually assuming that everything on my computer can be, and
> probably is, being read by a few dozen spy organizations of
> technically-competent nations.  I use ordinary anti-virus programs, but I'm
> under no illusion that the NSA/CIA/GCHQ/TLA's of other nations can't devise
> a targeted bug that such software cannot find.)     If any of you are
> interested in helping me confirm or deny this paranoid suspicion, I would
> very much appreciate your assistance.)

so far we've seen 0.5%[0] of confirmations of general and nearly
insurmountable vulnerability against a state level actor, ... let's
see what 2014 has in store! :)

the question:
 do you believe the counter-surveillance was a factor in the extreme
measures used in your prosecution?
AP seemed the most controversial and outwardly demonised aspect of the
whole debacle, but perhaps i am giving too much weight to AP.

the judge sealing the entire court file raises questions, but i also
admit knowing little about the particulars of the facts and legal
motions of the case.

best regards,

0.  snowden leaks, ~1.6% to ~.40% released
  http://cryptome.org/2013/11/snowden-tally.htm
   see also, tailored access megapwnage:
http://cryptome.org/2013/12/nsa-tao-ant.pdf
http://cryptome.org/2013/12/nsa-quantum-tasking.pdf