"To Protect and Infect" - the edges of privacy-invading technology

Hannes Frederic Sowa hannes at stressinduktion.org
Mon Dec 30 21:14:56 PST 2013

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 08:56:57PM -0500, griffin at cryptolab.net wrote:
>   This talk is divided into two parts.  Morgan Marquis-Boire and Claudio
> Guarnieri talking about the militarization of the internet in part one,
> including both targeted and dragnet surveillance in deep-packet
> inspection.  (See also Citizen Labs' work on BlueCoat).  In part two,
> Jake Appelbaum talks about some of the most hardcore and cutting-edge
> NSA surveillance tactics and equipment.  (See also yesterday's Der
> Spiegel articles).
>
> Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZYo9TPyNko
>
> Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0w36GAyZIA

Actually, somehow, I have a feeling of relief to see that major hardware
vendors don't seem to specifically work hand in hand with the NSA to
implement backdoors. I don't see that having a JTAG connector publicaly
accessible on a RAID controller as a hint for that. The other disclosures
also point to my conclusion that the NSA is mostly working on their
own. Of course, not all of Snowden's documents are released yet and
hence my feeling could be deceiving.

I thought it could be worse.

Bye,

  Hannes