Tor funding [was: ranting at Juan's hatebait rapaciously [before that, something about: request for transcript: Bruce Schneier and Eben Moglen discuss a post-Snowden Internet]]

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 14:22:48 PST 2013

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 12:27 AM, coderman <coderman at gmail.com> wrote:
> b) you insist Tor's origins and funding sources are proof of
> malfeasance; they've responded by diversifying funding.

even more today :)

https://blog.torproject.org/blog/announcement-tor-project-now-accepting-bitcoin-donations

"""

Over the past year, we have received many requests for us to accept
bitcoin donations. After careful consideration and research, we are
thrilled to announce that effective today The Tor Project is accepting
bitcoin donations. In partnership with Bitpay, bitcoins can easily and
directly be donated to support Tor’s ongoing mission of being the
global resource for privacy technology advocacy, research and
education in the ongoing pursuit of freedom of speech, privacy rights
online, and censorship circumvention. Check out ourdonations page now.
Bitcoin donations received by The Tor Project will be converted
directly to US Dollars.

Our decision to accept bitcoins has been well thought out and
researched from a financial accounting perspective with an eye on
passing our required annual A-133 audit. We believe we are the first
US 501(c)3 non-profit organization to test acceptance of bitcoins and
attempt to pass the US Government A-133 Audit Standard. Our 2013 audit
results, along with our past financial documents, will be made
available on our website once complete in 2014.

The Tor Project is also proud to be in the company of other visible
non-profit organizations accepting bitcoins including EFF and
Wordpress.

Why is this important? The Tor Project needs your donations to
continue our mission and to keep the Tor suite of technologies ahead
with the growing threats to privacy and anonymity around the world.
Your donation made TODAY, through bitcoin, Paypal, Amazon Payments,
Givv.org, checks, money orders or bank transfers, will provide greater
security and privacy for millions around the world who use Tor every
day.

Help us continue our mission!
"""