Fwd: Jacob impervious to "Rubber Hose Cryptanalysis" performed by Stewart Baker

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Tue Dec 17 11:15:42 PST 2013

John Young:
> A good point, Jake. That status quo of commercial journalism.
>
> What's better than advocacy journalism subservience?
>
> How about an unfettered unredacted disclosure for unlimited
> access free of censorious redaction and withholding?

Yeah, of course. The clear answer is to ensure that this is done in a
sustainable manner as well. I don't mean fiscally either, I mean, more
than merely living through it and staying "free" for some sense of the word.

> And giving up the "dump" red herring, WikiLeaks is unfairly
> accused of that, and has been considerably more various,
> experimental and risk-taking than professional journalism.
> It would do well to give up the privileged protection of
> journalism which demeans its reputation.

I'm not sure that I follow but it sounds poetic, as usual, John. ;-)

> Exceptions to the cowardice of journalism abound, but have
> to be found so little are they known and credited beyond naming
> awards, and they defy the presumed status quo of what is
> permissable lawful and craven. Yes, many went to jail rather
> than bray about the jailing of others, reaping the rewards of
> consulting with authorities to maintain access.

Indeed, on all counts.

> Hoped you had nutted Stew Baker, a lying sack of shit.

I pre-empted his 9/11 trolling by talking about the holocaust. It
clearly surprised him and the entire event was captured on video. He
blamed FISA for 9/11, I blamed the FBI, NSA and CIA for being a bunch of
criminals that exceeded their authority - without their misdeeds, FISA
wouldn't even exist. He had nearly nothing to say to this assertion. I
think he doesn't often spar with people who will go toe to toe.

All the best,
Jacob