request for transcript: Bruce Schneier and Eben Moglen discuss a post-Snowden Internet

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Mon Dec 16 19:03:29 PST 2013

Juan Garofalo:

> --On Tuesday, December 17, 2013 1:43 AM +0000 Jacob Appelbaum
> <jacob at appelbaum.net> wrote:
>
>> Juan Garofalo:
>>>

>>> --On Sunday, December 15, 2013 6:11 PM -0800 coderman

>>> 	"the nsa can't break tor"
>>>
>>> 	Ha? tor developers admit that the nsa can break tor but schneider says
>>> otherwise?
>>
>> Where do we admit that the NSA can break Tor? We have seen evidence only
>> for the NSA exploiting the code in Tor Browser (Firefox) and never in
>> the core Tor network software.
>

> 	See my next messages. I'm referring to the "users get router" paper.

Wait, you're taking an academic paper, a good one I might add, and
saying that this counts as admission by the Tor Project that our efforts
are futile?

> 	I see no reason to believe that the NSA can't find out who's who in the
> tor network.

Perhaps the leaked documents that specifically state this fact might
clue you into their capabilities?

I encourage you to read them:

  http://media.encrypted.cc/files/nsa/

Contained in those files, I see no evidence for your assertions. Aaron's
paper is good but as Al said, feel free to show us some evidence that
you've used it to break Tor!

>>> 	plus, schneier, greenwald and partners don't seem to have too much
>>> credibility at this point
>>>

>> Why is that?
>

> 	Because they have access to a lot of information they are not publishing,
> and have close ties to the establishment.

Wait, they have access to information, that they publish, story by story
and that means that they're not credible? That is hilariously strange
reasoning. The information is coming out as quickly as people are able
to make sense of it.

> 	Plus, isn't the latest news that greenwald was bribed/bought by ebays
> owner, who happens to be the typical fake american 'libertarian' (he's
> actually a mercantilist conservative - see what kind of 'free' market ebay
> is)

No, the latest news is that Glenn still has nouns of steel and is still
publishing incredible news on a regular basis.

All the best,
Jacob