Android IMSI Catcher detection

Cathal Garvey (Phone) cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Mon Dec 9 14:31:11 PST 2013

IDD, I've searched for an Android API for detecting crypto algo for ages and turned up empty. However, you can get the tower ID, so a distributed, communally (cantenna?) verified whitelist of 'good' towers is doable, with automatic disconnection if an unwhitelisted tower connects..?

Can/do IMSI systems spoof tower id: is there anything in GSM to make towers self-verifying? I'm guessing no, in which the above would be very poor.

Also of note is API for signal strength, so a mapping of known towers to expected strength at location XYZ could be used to detect systems used to home in on phones, which usually max out on signal and tell your phone to do likewise. Indeed, a strong signal tower which still asks your phone to dial up the juice should be regarded as an attack.