Who bought off Zimmermann?

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 02:05:57 PDT 2013

On 8/31/13, Jon Callas <jon at callas.org> wrote:
> Thus with a large budget, you do both. With one hand, you crack the crypto
> by cracking the software. When it works it works. When it doesn't, it
> doesn't. Stop stressing. With the other hand, you revel in the glory of
> silence. In silence you can think. You watch the band, you watch square
> dance. You just watch who is pairing with whom, where the lines cross and
> the beats are. Sometimes you can even guess the tune by watching the dance
> (which is also cryptanalysis).

I agree. Perhaps to extend my thought... right now we have a lot of current
data (whether officially or leaked) from our favorite adversaries
about the above.
Yet only a tiny amount of data about the crypto. True, we can infer data about
the crypto by seeing the growth in the above known alternatives, and from our
own understanding of the crypto, the effectiveness of such alternatives, and
from history. But that's not the same as directly seeing what the adversary has
under their hat regarding the crypto. More of a note to watch our own
inferences.