Who bought off Zimmermann?

Eric Mill eric at konklone.com
Sun Aug 25 17:06:38 PDT 2013

In the full context of the question and the answer, Zimmermann explains
that because they didn't have a smartphone client for PGP, they were forced
to hold the keys on their servers. Under these conditions, a court order
could force him to silently wiretap users who otherwise believe their
product is secure.

I don't know enough to evaluate his decision not to use PGP on smartphones,
and what the challenges there are. It's also possible he was incorrect or
misleading in marketing Silent Circle's email service - the question starts
with "You said in the past that Silent Circle’s products were secure
because you don’t hold the encryption keys...", and that is obviously not
the case (for email).

But I certainly wouldn't assume he's bought off. In the full scenario he
describes, that Silent Circle was in, it was impossible for them to
guarantee end-to-end encrypted email bodies in the long run. That's all
he's saying.

-- Eric

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 7:54 PM, StealthMonger <StealthMonger at nym.mixmin.net

--