Google to encrypt cloud storage

Kyle Maxwell kylem at xwell.org
Mon Aug 19 07:31:54 PDT 2013

Keep in mind that not all law enforcement (or the broader class of
potential adversaries) will have access to NSA/FBI-type capabilities
or even NSLs and such, not to mention that it provides additional
protection in case a Google server is breached. Having spent time
chatting with some of their security people, including members of
their incident response team, I'm not so cynical that they view
anything like this as a reason not to secure their stuff. I find it
far more likely that they see this as adding an additional hurdle for
adversaries to clear.

--
@kylemaxwell