Google to encrypt cloud storage

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Mon Aug 19 03:38:50 PDT 2013

Dnia poniedziaƂek, 19 sierpnia 2013 12:27:51 Nicolas Vigier pisze:
> On Sun, 18 Aug 2013, rysiek wrote:
> > OHAI,
> >
> > PRISM caused a ot of fear but now we can finally feel safe again -- Google
> > will encrypt all Google Drive storage with user-supplied keys:
> > http://it.slashdot.org/story/13/08/16/239253/
> >
> > So our data will be perfectly safe with them, right?
> > Right?.. ;)
>
> I don't understand against who it is supposed to protect your data. It
> cannot be against google as they have all the keys. Does it mean google
> admit that there are other people with direct access to their data
> storage ?

This is *precisely* why I wrote:

"Seriously, though, this is very, very bad for us. Normals will point to that
 and say 'hey, Google does the Right Thing and we can be safe there, so we
 should all use Google now. They have encryption and stuff.'"

We know this is bogus; but for a normal person this sounds like a Great Idea:
just imagine, all your data encrypted, easily managed and with Google prowess
to back it technologically! What's not to love?..

--
Pozdr
rysiek