[cryptography] LeastAuthority.com announces PRISM-proof storage service

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Aug 16 12:15:41 PDT 2013

----- Forwarded message from zooko <zooko at zooko.com> -----

Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 23:11:22 +0400
From: zooko <zooko at zooko.com>
To: Nico Williams <nico at cryptonector.com>
Cc: cryptography at randombit.net
Subject: Re: [cryptography] LeastAuthority.com announces PRISM-proof storage service

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 03:16:33PM -0500, Nico Williams wrote:

> Nothing really gets anyone past the enormous supply of zero-day vulns in their complete stacks.  In the end I assume there's no technological PRISM workarounds.

I agree that compromise of the client is relevant. My current belief is that
nobody is doing this on a mass scale, pwning entire populations at once, and
that if they do, we will find out about it.

My goal with the S4 product is not primarily to help people who are being
targeted by their enemies, but to increase the cost of indiscriminately
surveilling entire populations.

Now maybe it was a mistake to label it as "PRISM-Proof" in our press release
and media interviews! I said that because to me "PRISM" means mass surveillance
of innocents. Perhaps to other people it doesn't mean that. Oops!

Regards,

Zooko

----- End forwarded message -----